Saturday, April 23, 2011

Lentil Burger Sliders

A few weeks ago I stumbled across the blog of a pro chef who had posted about Pea Ravioli.  Sometimes he shares recipes, but this one wasn't on there.  So without thinking, I commented and asked him to share the recipe . . . only to realize that this was really an advert for his restaurant's new-for-spring menu after I hit 'send'.  But he took compassion on me and my remote location and emailed me the recipe!  Nope, sorry, unless he himself gives me permission, I'm not sharing that one.

But he did also recommend his post on Legume Burgers . . . which linked back to a post by a Spanish chef.  Now, thankfully French is similar enough to Spanish that I was able to get the bulk of the idea without google translator . . . or maybe it's because he has more pictures than words in the post . . . hmmm.

Today we had a graduation party for two of the MK's who will be leaving shortly to head back to the States . . . and I decided Lentil Burger Sliders would be fun to make.  I didn't have a real recipe, and needing it to go far (in the end there were about 35 little patties . . . actually, in the end there were none as they all got eaten because they were SO good) I added a few extra veggies and switched the curry for soy sauce, since I don't have any curry powder.

1 cup dried lentils
3 cups water
salt
2 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 large onion, peeled and shredded
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 head of cabbage, shredded (the more you need to feed, the more cabbage you should add)
1 cup oats
2 eggs
2 Tbs soy sauce


Bring lentils and water to a boil (with salt) in a medium sauce pan.  Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are soft.

Using a food processor, blend oats until they form a fine powder.  Pour into a bowl and set aside.  Change your chopping blade to the shredding plate and shred the carrots, onion, cabbage and garlic.  Don't have a food processor . . . ADD IT TO YOUR CHRISTMAS LIST!!!!!!!

Once lentils are cooked, combine powdered oats, shredded veggies, eggs, and soy sauce.  Place lentils into food processor and blend into a paste.  (I only blended half, but ended up with lots of stray burnt individual lentils . . . so next time . . . and there will be a next time! . . . I will purée them all).  Add lentil paste to everything else and stir till all ingredients are blended.

Since it's so hot here, the mixture was quite difficult to form . . . or maybe I should have only used one egg instead of two . . . next time . . . so I dropped little cookie-dough sized balls on parchment paper, flattened them to make patties, then placed them in the deep freezer to get a little more firm to be easier to handle.

Putting a splash of oil on a non-stick frying pan, fry the patties until nice and crisp.

I made a batch of Momma S-haus' Famous Galmi Rolls (if she gives me permission, I'll post that recipe too) for buns and served them with some (African) Heinz Ketchup (yes, it does taste a bit different) and (real) Dijon Mustard (that I carried over from France . . . some things are so perfect as they are, they just can't be duplicated).

In a word: YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment